At NerdWallet, we strive to help you make financial decisions with confidence. To do this, many or all of the products featured here are from our partners. However, this doesn’t influence our evaluations. Our opinions are our own.
The British Airways Visa Signature® Card has brought back the potential to earn a big upfront welcome offer.
The card, issued by Chase, phrases its new sign-up bonus like this: Earn 50,000 bonus Avios after you spend $3,000 on purchases within the first 3 months from account opening. Plus earn an additional 50,000 bonus Avios after you spend $20,000 on your purchases within your first year of account opening.
You’ll also earn:
- 3 Avios per $1 spent on purchases with British Airways.
- 1 Avios for all other purchases.
- A Travel Together Ticket every calendar year you make $30,000 in purchases on the British Airways Visa Signature® Card. It’s good for two years and grants you a seat on the same flight and in the same cabin for a companion. You’ll pay taxes, fees and carrier charges for the additional seat.
The $95 annual fee is remaining the same.
From January through June 2019, the British Airways Visa Signature® Card had switched to a different form of incentive, one that heavily favored bigger spenders. During that time, there was no traditional upfront sign-up bonus. Instead, the card earned 4 Avios for every $1 spent on all purchases within your first year up to $30,000, for a potential earning of up to 120,000 bonus Avios. After reaching that threshold, you’d return to the typical earning rate of 3 Avios for every $1 spent on British Airways purchases and 1 Avios for every $1 spent on all other purchases.
This isn’t the first time the British Airways Visa Signature® Card has offered a chance at snagging a 100,000-point sign-up bonus. At one point in 2017, the card allowed new cardholders to earn Avios in stages:
- 50,000 bonus Avios after spending $3,000 on purchases within the first 3 months.
- An additional 25,000 bonus Avios after spending $10,000 total on purchases within your first year, for a total of 75,000 bonus Avios.
- A further 25,000 bonus Avios after spending $20,000 total on purchases within your first year, for a total of 100,000 bonus Avios.
This new sign-up bonus makes it possible to earn up to 100,000 Avios, but there’s no longer that middle 75,000-point possibility.