At NerdWallet, we strive to help you make financial decisions with confidence. To do this, many or all of the products featured here are from our partners. However, this doesn’t influence our evaluations. Our opinions are our own.
The West Virginia Housing Development Fund works with dozens of lenders to provide affordable housing for West Virginia residents. It not only facilitates home loans with favorable interest rates but can make the dream of a no-down-payment mortgage come true.
And yet, there is even more homeownership help to tap. Check out federal loan programs offering first-time home buyers low down payments and easy qualifying as you look into WV Housing Development Fund options.
National first-time home buyer programs
A good starting point is to investigate the low- or no-down-payment loans available from these federally backed mortgage programs.
WVHDF highlights and eligibility requirements
These WVHDF programs are for first-time home buyers and West Virginia residents. A first-time buyer is defined as not having had an ownership interest in a home during the past three years. An exception to that ownership-interest requirement is available in certain counties or if you’re an eligible veteran.
Additional details vary by program, but here are some basics:
» MORE: Tips for first-time home buyers
- WVHDF offers 30-year fixed-rate home loans.
- With 100% financing available, you may qualify without a down payment.
- Offers down payment and closing cost assistance up to $10,000 in the form of a separate, very-low-interest loan.
- County limits apply to a borrower’s household income.
- The purchase price of the home must also comply with local guidelines.
- A home buyer education course is required.
WVHDF first-time home buyer programs
Summary: 2019 West Virginia first-time home buyer programs
- The Down Payment and Closing Cost Assistance program offers low-interest-rate loans to help you clear the upfront money hurdle.
- The USDA 502 Direct Loan Program allows no down payment and provides payment assistance.
- The HOME Leverage Program helps bridge the gap between what you can qualify to borrow and the purchase price of a home.
More from NerdWallet